Uncle Bobs Tips

How To Clean Mold Away For Good

How To Clean Mold Away For Good

Print Version Email To A Freind

TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS

Mold is more dangerous and widespread than people think, and should not be taken lightly. Medium to large cases of mold growth (anything more than 10-12 sq ft.) should be handled by professionals. For smaller instances of mold growth (which is what most people will have in or around their homes), we want to remove all traces of mold growth, stains and odors. Killing the mold is not enough because the negative proteins involved in adverse reactions are present even in dead mold.

It is important not to become contaminated when removing mold, and appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) is necessary to achieve this aim. Wear heavy-duty natural rubber or PVC gloves. Use a mask, or better yet, an N 95 respirator to avoid breathing in the mold spores. Goggles are also important. Getting mold spores in your eyes is very dangerous. Use goggles that do not have vent holes. Also, you may consider wearing disposable clothing or old clothes that you don't mind junking after his project. Mold spores can settle into your clothes, causing the mold issue to spread to other areas of the house,

Identify the cause and fix it. This has to be the first step because if your moisture problem remains, getting rid of the mold won't do you any good. It will just come back. You have to completely eliminate the cause of the mold growth before you even begin removal.

Determine if the area/objects should be cleaned or discarded, and do so.

Hard, non-porous surfaces such as glass, metal, and concrete are easy to deal with. Scrape away as much mold as possible, and then scrub the rest off with anything abrasive and a cleaning solution (preferably mold remover). The best solutions to use are specifically formulated natural mold cleaning products. These sprays are powerful killing agents, but are also sensitive to your health.

Spraying bleach or other biocides (substances that kill off living organisms) can help clear away and prevent further mold growth. SAFETY NOTE: When working with such substances, you must proceed with caution. Clean the area thoroughly after using biocides, especially where children, pets or food are present. Never use biocides in an unventilated or closed area at the risk of toxic inhalation. Don't leave these chemicals around for small children or pets to find. Never ever mix ammonia and bleach- this combination can be deadly.

Bet you didn't know:

A drafty home can cause mold to grow just as easily as a house without proper air circulation. This is because the warm air from the living areas travels to other areas of the house and condenses (causing moisture to form). Drafty homes will generally produce mold in the winter months, where as an airtight house will see mold in the summer months.

Plant life that comes in contact with your home's siding, windows or utility outlets may cause mold to grow. Trim or move shrubs and trees that are close to or against the house.

Many people allow their sprinkler systems to spray water in a large arc, effectively squirting the house as well as the plants. This is an easy invitation for mold.

Here are some mold warning signs: rusty nails, fasteners or other metallic surfaces, water stains.

Share |

Sponsored by:



Recent Articles:



BBB Online

Get Uncle Bob's weekly email
We hate spam and respect your email privacy!